Wedding Dress Silhouettes 101
Wedding Dress Silhouettes 101So now that you’re newly engaged, how do you begin to look for your dream wedding dress? Some brides even choose a more formal gown for the wedding ceremony, then change into a fun and flirty dress to dance in for the reception! To understand the basics of wedding gown shopping and creating, it helps to know the following different types of silhouettes:
A-line–this skirt flares out in the shape of an “A” and is generally flattering to every figure. Highlighting the narrowest point on the waist, the bodice displays subtle and balanced lines. A beautifully beaded belt may also highlight the waist, adding that special touch! A-Line is a very good choice for brides who are little thicker through the middle.
- Ball gown–timeless as regal and fairy tale gowns, this silhouette with its layers of fabric and full bell shape complement most figure types. Trimming the waist, a slim bodice gives way to the beautiful twirl of the dancing ball gown!
- Sheath–favoring a slim body type, the sheath flows effortlessly along the body’s natural shape, while the long, straight lines provide lengthening effects. Not fitted through the hips and very streamline. Looks best on brides who want to minimize their hips.
- Trumpet–a gradually-flared skirt and a close-fitting bodice that skims the lines of the body, through the hips with slight flare towards the bottom. Not as much flare as a mermaid wedding dress silhouette. Just as the name suggests, the gradual flare of a trumpet dress’ skirt resembles the shape of the musical instrument trumpet’s bell.
- Mermaid–emphasizing the hourglass shape, this silhouette highlights the curves! Hugging below the hips, the bodice flows into the signature skirt that flares out at the knees. Sure to be every little girl’s dream, the mermaid silhouette captivates the imagination!
- Fit and Flare– Just as it sounds! This silhouette is fitted, and then has a slight flare towards the bottom. No petticoat required for this design. Most fit and flare styles are sleek, and then the skirt is what give this silhouette its “flare”!